DIY Door Mat

4:36 PM


I'm kind of obsessed with this DIY Doormat I made. It was inspired by this post on I SPY DIY. I made a few changes to it and I'm super happy with the way it came out.

Materials:
  • Door Mat
  • Vinyl Scraps
  • Fabric Paint
  • Paintbrush
  • Painters Tape
  • Pillowcase
  • Iron

The first change I made was the rug itself. I got the Sindal Door Mat from Ikea for $4.99. Seriously, 5 bucks. I also didn't want to buy vinyl letters, so I cut them myself out of some leftover vinyl I had laying around forever... (See D-Ro, I eventually use the junk I hoard!) I don't have a machine that does it for me, so I printed out the letters at 6" high using the font Bebas Neue, traced it onto the vinyl and cut it out with some good old fashioned scissors. High tech, I know. And if I'm being 100% honest, I didn't even print it out, just traced it from my computer screen because the printer at my in-laws wasn't working... but printing would have been a lot easier and saved my hand from cramping 486 times.


I used a regular paint brush instead of a paint roller because I didn't have a paint roller and of course, since I'm DIYing, cheap was the goal. 


I was worried that the vinyl wouldn't leave a clean line because it wasn't sticking very well to the texture of the rug, as you can see with the letter E in the picture above, so I decided to kind of mash the paint on from above instead of brushing it. I wanted to call it a stippling technique, because that's what they call it when you do that with your makeup but after consulting google, I decided I'm not even going to try to pretend like I know any technical terms about painting. Anyway, this worked really well for the entire rug, as it got the paint down into the crevices of the uneven surface.


After everything is done... time for the moment of truth. 


It worked! Clean lines... I am so proud. *tear* After the paint was dry, I used a pillowcase to cover the rug and ironed the fabric paint to set it. I don't have a fancy iron like I Spy DIY does, so I just used my pink sunbeam I've had since I first went to college. :)

Um, HELLO! I LOVE IT.


You Might Also Like

0 comments